Take your marketing further with the LeagueApps and Mailchimp integration. Mailchimp is a leading marketing automation platform that provides advanced design and segmentation tools, along with mail merge functionality and analytics.
In this article you will learn how to automatically send data from LeagueApps to your Mailchimp account. Set-up is done directly within the LeagueApps Management console.
|⚠️ This sync is not retroactive, it will only sync registration data from the time the integration is turned on going forward. The integration does not perform a bulk import of past registration data.
Step 1: You need a Mailchimp Account
If you already have a MailChimp account, you can enter your login and password information during setup. If not, you can create a new account as the first step to building the integration.
Your Mailchimp account must be set up prior to building the integration with LeagueApps. You will need to create distribution lists, called Audiences in Mailchimp, and set up merge fields for any custom data points that you will be sending from LeagueApps.
For more information on Mailchimp's functionality and features, visit www.mailchimp.com.
Step 2: Generate API credentials
If you use subaccounts in LeagueApps, this setup must be done on each subaccount that requires an integration. There are three credentials you’ll need for each sub-site:
- API Key Client ID
- P12 file
- Site ID
To generate the P12 file, follow the steps below:
- Navigate to Connect then click API Settings.
- Enter a name for your credentials, such as “MailChimp” and select the Generate Private API Key button. If you do not enter a name, the integration will not work.
- Once a private API key is generated, a file will be downloaded to your computer and a new record will appear in the API KEYS list on the page. The name of this file is also known as the client ID. You will need both this file and the client ID in a later step.
Step 3: Connect your LeagueApps and Mailchimp Accounts
- Navigate to Connect then click Integration Center.
- From the Integration Center, select Mailchimp and then click the Connect App button.
- Connect your LeagueApps account by clicking the top Connect button next to LeagueApps and supply your LeagueApps API credentials.
- P12 file: Upload the private API key that you downloaded from the API Settings page. It is the form of a p12 file. For example, 60febf874c68s0wekbo203.p12.
- Client ID: Paste the name of the private API key (aka p12 file) that you downloaded from the API Settings page. The client ID can also be found in the table on the API Settings page under Key Name. For example, 60febf874c68s0wekbo203.
- Site ID - Type in your Site ID. This is the string of 4 - 5 numbers found in your browser’s URL bar. For example, 42073.
4. Connect your Mailchimp account by pressing Connect. Log into your Mailchimp account and allow LeagueApps access.
5. After both accounts are connected, select Next to proceed.
Step 4: Configure the sync
This sync will automatically add participant data from LeagueApps to specific email distribution lists in Mailchimp called Audiences.
You can map individual LeagueApps programs, sets of programs, or all programs to corresponding audiences in Mailchimp. Simply use the dropdown options to find and select programs from LeagueApps and audiences from Mailchimp.
By default, the integration will sync the registrant’s first name, last name and email address.
|⚠️ For a child registrant, the primary parent’s information will be sent to Mailchimp.
Select the Advanced dropdown option to add additional fields and/or tags for segmentation in Mailchimp.
|⚠️ Any fields that you want to sync must already be created as form fields in LeagueApps and merge fields in Mailchimp before you set up the integration.
You can add registration form field responses as well as program details, such as Name, Sport, Season, etc. At this time, you cannot sync custom member profile fields. Any custom fields that need to be synced into Mailchimp must be setup as registration form field questions.
Additional Program and Audience selections can be set up by hitting the +Add button.
Once LeagueApps programs are mapped to Mailchimp audiences , press the Next button.
Step 5: Turn on the sync
- Choose a Sync Schedule. This defines how often you want the integration to send data from LeagueApps to MailChimp.
- Disable the Paused toggle switch to turn on the sync
- Lastly, click the Save button.
Going forward LeagueApps registration data for the programs you selected in the configuration will automatically sync to your Mailchimp account and audiences. Remember to update your configuration as you add new programs to LeagueApps.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are email contacts in LeagueApps that exportable to Mailchimp via the integration?
Not at this time. The integration does not work as a historical export/import tool. The integration will push data of new registrants from LeagueApps to Mailchimp, once the integration is setup and turned on. It does not move historical data from LeagueApps into Mailchimp.