Payment plans are a powerful LeagueApps feature that allows your organization to offer members flexible payment options for programs via scheduled installments. You can create as many payment plans per program as you'd like, and there are a few different ways to customize the plans.
Coupled with stored payment methods and autopay, payment plans give you the power to invoice your members for a large sum and schedule payments to be automatically billed on specific dates.
Like programs, payment plans are also highly customizable with many different options.
|⚠️ If your program is utilizing Custom Team Registration Settings, view this help page.|
Enable Payment Plans
Your first step will be to enable payment plans in your program.
- In the program, go to Settings
- Then click Registration Options
- Scroll down the page and toggle on Enable Payment Plans
- Then Save Options & go to Payment Plans
- Once enabled, you can always then access Payment Plans from Settings within the program.
Creating Payment Plan
From the Payments Plan page, you can manage your existing payment plans, create a new payment plan, copy existing plans, or delete an unneeded plan.
General Plan Settings
- Click the +Add Payment Plan Button
- Name: Label your payment plans clearly for yourself and your customers; e.g. 6th Grade Boys Installment Plan
- Type of role this payment plan is for: This defines to whom the payment plan will be assigned:
- Program Staff: The coach, team manager or team captains will be responsible for payments
- Team Player: A player joining a team will be responsible for his or her own payments
- Individual: A player or participant joining the program without a team (free agent) will responsible for payments
- Require first payment during registration: Check this box if you require your registrants to make an initial payment in order to join the team. Leaving this box unchecked will allow members to join a team without payment.
- Strictly enforce first payment during registration: Check this box if you require your registrants to make an initial payment immediately.
- Require Auto Pay enrollment: Check this box if you require your registrants to store a payment method in order to complete registration.
|⚠️ Enabling all three of the previous settings is the best way to ensure your teams are 100% paid for by season's end as registrants will be required to make an initial payment and store a payment method to be autobilled for the remaining installments. To learn more about autopay, click here.|
Private Payment Plans
Private payment plans are used to give limited access to a specialized payment option. This is often used to give certain members access to a discounted payment plan or used as an alternative payment schedule.
To make a private payment plan, follow the steps in the previous section for general settings.
- Then check the box for This is a private payment plan
- Private Plan Code: This is the code you will need to provide to your member(s) to unlock the private payment plan during registration.
- Private Plan Redemption Limit: This is how many times the private plan can be used by your members in general. If the private plan you are creating is for one member, in particular, you may want to set the redemption limit to one.
Processing Fees are optional and can be used to charge your members an additional per-installment fee.
- Enter the dollar amount or percentage that will be added to each installment
- Then select in the drop down if your processing fee will be a percentage or dollar amount
Payment plans also have their own reminder settings independent of the program's payment reminders. LeagueApps will send your members automatic email reminders that either a payment is due or that their stored payment method will be automatically charged.
- How many days before a member's payment is due would you like them to be emailed a reminder?
- Should the payment fail or lapse, how often would you like the member to be reminded?
Payment Plan Advanced Settings are optional and often left unchanged. As such, they are disabled by default. To adjust the advanced settings, click the Show Advanced Settings link.
Partial Payments: This setting will allow your members to make partial payments toward an installment's total. For example, if a member's next installment is $500 and you set the Minimum Partial Payment Amount to $100, a member can choose to only make a $100 payment toward the $500 installment.
Combine Past Due Amounts with the Next Upcoming Installment: With this setting enabled, an unpaid installment will be added to the next upcoming installment, if the next upcoming installment is within a certain number of days.
For example, the amount of days is set to 10, your member has an unpaid installment from March 15th, and my next upcoming installment is due April 15th. On April 5th (10 days before April 15th), the unpaid installment amount from March 15 will be combined with the next upcoming installment amount due April 15th.
Once finished with the payment plan settings, click Save & Add Installments.
After saving your payment plan settings, the page will reload and you'll see a link to Add an Installment in the bottom right. Click on that to add your first installment.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the Add an Installment link
- Enter the amount due, due date, and processing fee (if necessary)
Note: Payment Dates must be in the future.
- Repeat these steps until all installments have been created.
- Once finished, you can go to several places:
- Click Update & add another plan to begin creating a new payment plan
- Click Update plan & create a Team to begin creating your teams
- Or under Settings click Payment Plans to view your list of created plans. From this page, you can also copy an existing plan.
Below is an example of what your members will see when choosing between a Pay all dues now option and payment plans:
Copying a Payment Plan
You can also copy an existing plan, saving you time if the payment plans in this program are similar to one another.
- In the program, go to Settings
- Then click Payment Plans
- Under actions on the right, click the Copy icon for the plan you want to copy
- Choose to keep installment dates the same or adjust them so that the first installment due date is the date you define.
|⚠️ If the installment dates of the plan you are copying from are in the past, you will need to select the second option.|
- Once copied, click the edit icon for the new plan to update its name and other settings
Frequently Asked Questions and Tips
Payment plans are only available / applied to participants who register after a payment plan has been created.
Administrators can convert certain invoices to payment plans. Click here to learn more about invoice actions.
When creating a payment plan, the following rules apply:
- Dates for added installments must be in the future.
- Any changes to installment dates or amounts are ONLY applied to registrations that occur in the future. This means that previously registered participants will be assigned the payment plan (and associated installment plan schedule/amounts) that was selected when they registered.
- The invoice tied to a specific person’s payment plan CAN be modified (just as you can with any other invoice).
- Discount codes and Site Credits are applied evenly across all installments in a payment plan when being used by a member. When a site credit is applied to a payment plan invoice by an an administrator, it will apply to the last installment forward.
- Copying a program using the Copy a Program tool gives you the option to copy the payment plan from the original program to the new program. You'll be given the option to shift the installment dates to the future when you copy the program based on the new dates of the program. Or you can keep the installments as they were.